The Belchertown Water District was established in 1921 to provide drinking water primarily to the center of Belchertown. The District has been expanded to the lakes to the north area as well as the municipal area on state st to the south. Current infrastructure includes two water tanks with 600,000 gallons of capacity fed from five groundwater wells at two locations. Distribution is maintained through 22 miles of water main including 1225 service connections serving an approximate population of 3300 people. The district is governed by a board of three commissioners and has three full time and four part time employees.